Sunday, October 10, 2010

Smashing Success!

It wasn't more than two hours after Sisty and Matt told me they were engaged that I asked if they'd let us throw them an engagement party. The news was just so thrilling - we all wanted to celebrate!

Luckily, the Looch was more than happy to let me dream up a vision for what the night would look like. We settled on a date and spent the next month and a half "junking" our way through thrift stores, Armageddon and garage sales to find the perfect assortment of mason jars, vintage glass and colorful linens to use for decorations. We worked on the house almost every weekend to be sure that everything would look picture perfect.

Because I'm the kind of girl who loves a good list, let me set the scene via bullet points:
  • 16 vases filled with flowers
  • 57 candles
  • 10 strings of twinkle lights
  • 3 rented tables and 30 rented chairs
  • 2 firepits with chairs
  • catering from Baja Burrito (yum)
  • cake and a surprise dessert - s'mores! (double yum)
  • a keg of Shiner and two cases of wine
  • an iPod set to the Hall and Oates pandora station - seriously, it's great!
I snapped a few pictures before the guests arrived. David J came over Friday afternoon to help string the lights (thanks babe!!), and then we leisurely started setting everything up around 10am the day of the party. By 2pm we were finished - with enough time for me to run to Anthropologie to pick up some new voluspa candles for the house.

(click on any of the pictures to take a closer look!)



Let's pretend it was my camera that turned the grass brown...it's not dead at all!







I moved the furniture over to the newly re-finished deck. Wish it could stay like that forever.





Quick story behind the chalkboard. When Sisty called The Attitude to share her big news, his first and only response was "Best Wishes" - spoken like Eeyore. Completely inappropriate but hilarious response. Naturally the joke landed and stuck.

I found table linens that were perfectly mis-matched. The vintage glass and vases were scattered down the center with candles and flowers. We put out a few baskets of chips and salsa for people to snack on while they were seated.





As it got darker, the twinkle lights stole the show and provided the perfect amount of light in the yard.





















I made the cake bunting myself - it says congrats!



Loochie was so great - she helped make sure the food on the table was always replenished. And she served the cake!







S'mores! I also collected vintage afgan blankets and placed them around the firepits for people to snuggle up with as the night got colder. Perfect!





Dance party. No big deal.



She's fantastic.



Actually, they both are.



I couldn't have asked for the night to be any better! Everyone had a great time and really enjoyed themselves. Most importantly, the two guests of honor were able to share their excitement with some of their closest friends. Best wishes to the happy couple!



Now I need another party to plan before the wedding...anyone have some celebrating to do?!

3 comments:

  1. Christian YazdanpanahOctober 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM

    I believe the most amazing thing about all of this is that it was done by the hands of those that love them the most. I just hope that when my time comes those same hands are around to help with mine. What a blessed family that keeps getting better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are great! Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete