Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The One Where I Almost Passed Up A Social Invitation To Stay Home and Eat Pie.

I have a long list of blogs I read daily. Some are celebrity blogs, some are about food, others are about random nonsense that I have no business clogging my brain with. Yesterday as I was scrolling through my daily reads, I learned that we've entered something of a holy week. Yes, my friends, P-Dub has deemed these next five days: Pie Week. And hooo boy do I need to hold a vigil and pray.

Yesterday's recipe? Apple pie. But not just any apple pie...dreamy apple pie. So named for it's deliciousness and yummy goodness.

Coincidentally, I'd been battling the urge to whip up some baked goods since the weekend (something about Sisty singing this song over and over again factored into that). But I take my holy weeks very seriously, and that meant starting a grocery list of what I needed to grab after work in order to make some dreams come true. See what I did there? I've got puns for days...

What I forgot was that yesterday was Monday. And Monday Night Football was on. And some friends were gathering at the local watering hole to watch the game. I was invited (rather, expected) to attend.

I figured I had enough time to run home, mix everything together and get the pie baking in just enough time to make it over to the bar within the first quarter. What I didn't figure was that The Attitude was cooking for the house and the kitchen was occupied. So I ignored the clock while waiting for dinner and while cleaning up from dinner, and then ignored it some more while I was peeling my apples and mixing my crumbly topping. It wasn't until I placed it in the oven did I realize that the game had already started and my friends were probably already three beers in.

And then I decided to blow them off.

The pie just looked so scrumptious bubbling away in my warm, 375 degree oven. My sweatpants were just so comfortable after a long day of wearing tights and a fancy dress.

And the words SPINSTER were just so flattering all over my damn forehead.

I pulled the pie from the oven, set it on the counter to cool, and promptly scooted over to the bar in socially appropriate clothing. Phew!!! Loneliness and bleak future AVOIDED.

And you know what? The pie was even more delicious when I got home from the night. My boys agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment