Tuesday, November 30, 2010

We're Awesome At Decorating

With Thanksgiving behind us, The Attitude and I decided to decorate the house for Christmas over the weekend.


While he headed outside to handle the outside lights, I rummaged through my storage bins and brought out the Christmas decorations. One of my favorite things is (and always has been) unwrapping all the tissue-wrapped ornaments and decorations and finding the perfect spot to place them around the house. I get this from the Looch. In fact, she echoed those exact thoughts at her house while Sisty and I were helping them decorate their house. I am my mother's daughter, what can I say?

I found our stockings and quickly realized they would have to stay in the storage bin for another year, considering I ripped down the mantle one day during Summer Renovations 2010.

But I couldn't leave the fireplace unadorned! And I hadn't done anything nerdy in a few days! So out came the sewing kit and I went to work making something in it's place.

The fabric store was having a huge sale on Saturday, so I snagged a bundle of quilting fabric for $5.99. I knew I wanted to make bunting (I'm kind of on a bunting-kick. Back off.) so it was as simple as measuring the length of the fireplace and then eye-balling the size of the flags to figure out how many I should cut.


My flags were 5 1/2" by 7", and I used 9 flags for 60" of ribbon.


Then I pinned them to the back of the ribbon and used invisible thread to hand stitch the flags. I wasn't precise about the spacing - mostly because I was watching TV and was tired of measuring things - but they ended up about 1.5" to 2" apart. Guess I'm learning to embrace imperfection.**


Ta-Da! Bunting!!



And here's the entire room...





**See what I mean about imperfection? I didn't even stop to straighten out the pictures or ask the Attitude to get out of the mirror.



And close-ups of my two favorite ornaments...





Next weekend is our girls' lunch to exchange ornaments (me, Sisty and the Looch). Can't wait to add a few more to my tree.

Oh, and the outside looks amazing! The Attitude more than made up for his toenail catastrophe by tucking away his Scrooge-y-ness and hanging the lights perfectly!





Your move, neighbors.

4 comments:

  1. Is that my ornament?! Ha! Also, I wish I had waited til tomorrow to read this, seeing that you're coming over and my house is a bunch of unopened Christmas decoration boxes. Embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is your ornament! I seriously LOVE IT.

    Ha - tell me where to put things and I'll decorate for you. Two for one babysitting service, right here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creativity is flourishing!!!

    ReplyDelete